The origin of the school is
rooted in the history of the parish. The earliest
record of a school appears to be in 1745 when church
warders had to pay for “putting a window in the
schools” and a “skeine of helme” to thatch the roof.
It is most likely, however, that the origin is even
earlier as it was quite common from the 16th century
for a parson to give a little education to the
In 1817 the school building
bordering the High Street at the bottom of Trafalgar
Road was opened and, after an extension in 1895, it
continued as school premises until 1957 when the
present building was completed.
The Infants’ Department was
opened in September 1971, being an overflow from All
Saints Primary School next door. It is an attractive
open-plan, one-storied building in very pleasant
surroundings of parkland and farmland with rising
hills above. It gives a semi-rural setting, although
being within the Bath boundary.
In September 1986 the two
buildings became one school operating as a Primary
School. We were very fortunate in having attractive
classrooms on both sites each with their own
facilities which include a Hall, Kitchen and
Library. We have a total of three tarmac
playgrounds, two football pitches and plenty of
grassed areas providing spacious play and outdoor
P.E. facilities. We have an outdoor heated swimming
pool which is suitable for summer use.
In November 2011, a new Key Stage
2 building was opened, adjoining the existing Key
Stage 1 site. This has given us all sorts of new
facilities including a spacious library and more
administrative areas. The swimming pool has been
rebuilt between the two buildings and the grounds
have been imaginatively re-landscaped.